How to pick the University that suits you....

March 05, 2016




First of all I decided to create this post because me, myself, I was having a hard time choosing the right university for me, and can I just say, it was not easy. I always wanted something that I could refer to, as I am also applying for university, and will hopefully be starting in September this year.


1. Read what the course offers during and after
By this, I mean try looking on the UCAS website and the actual university website, and read carefully what the course offers in each of the 3 years, or 4 if it's a Masters. Then try reading what type of jobs are available after getting a degree in the specific field and if the skills that are learnt are transferable or not.

2. Visit open days
I believe this is probably the most important step, mainly because it gives you the opportunity to have a good look around the grounds you could potentially be living at for 3/4 years, and it also lets you meet any lecturers, alumni and any current students, therefore letting you get a better understanding of your course and your future. Open days almost always offer accommodation tours, which allow you to see inside the halls of residents and gain more information on living arrangements and how much it costs to either commute or live at the university (prices are shown both weekly and annually) 

3. Talk to staff
Talking to staff allows you to gain more information from the perspective of someone who has seen hundreds and thousands of students who are all in the same position as you. They are also available to talk to about portfolios, clearing and adjustment and just the courses themselves.

4. Check online stats
By this, I mean check the university website for any figures that clearly show, their employability ratings and student satisfaction, this allows you to gain an insight in how the students are treated and just what your £9,000 per year leads up towards.

5. Gut instinct
By just walking into the reception of the university, you can usually tell whether you belong somewhere, and even though I'm aspiring to be an interior design student, the feel and interiors of the buildings are what usually grab you and the staff themselves. By gut instincts you can tell whether you belong somewhere, and by trusting these built in 'Spider-senses' you can find you way to the perfect university that suits you.


Overall, I hope these tips were useful, because by me going to many open days and having to read about all these universities, I finally understand what to do, and it's definitely not too late to learn something new.


Millie xx



What I was listening to whilst making this post:-
Chris Brown - Make Love





You Might Also Like

26 comments

  1. Or just choose BCU??;) Can't wait for us to study and drink Costas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, they're already my firm :) and me either xx

      Delete
  2. you should also check with fam and older friends! they can provide valuable insight. great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great topic to blog about!

    XO, Jessi
    http://www.mywhiteT.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I enjoyed read this!!
    Hugs,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips. This is always a tough decision. Thanks for sharing and check out our latest campaign by SICKY eyewear.

    Eye See Euphoria | http://blog.eyeseeeuphoria.com/2016/03/09/sickyeyewearspringsummer2016/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's really hard to know just how accurate the uni's course descriptions are. my advice after finishing a 4 year degree is to not go down a particular path because the industry is doing well at the time of enrollment because a lot can change!!

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for the tip, will definitely take it into consideration x

      Delete
  8. Amazing post, I got lucky with mine thank God, but knowing the universities first it's the best thing.

    Muny B.| STYLE Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really helpful post, thanks for sharing! I really like your blog, let me know if you would like to follow each other!

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips! I totally agree with you & I would also add to pick something you have passion for, because at the end you have to love what you do:)
    xx
    http://putitallonme.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. These tips are great! It's so important to find the right uni xx
    http://www.britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to comment! <3